Sunday, January 1, 2012

Kahtoola MICROspikes






Last night it started raining then it flipped over to snow. Then the temperature dropped, which turned the 2-mile walking path around Lake Normandale into a giant skating rink. While it would be nice to stay inside, drink a cup of coffee and read the paper, Zorro must have his morning walk.

Last year I got caught walking in regular trail shoes when a snowstorm swooped in. The visibility was every bit as horrible as the traction and I slipped and fell, breaking a rib. While that was painful, I hated that it kept me out of the gym (my beloved CrossFit) for 2 months. I vowed never again.

I tried a number of winter traction devices and Kahtoola MICROspikes outperformed them all. And they outperformed them on two fronts. The first is the all-important traction on ice and snow. There are 10 spikes on each foot...8 on the forefoot and 2 on the heel. These babies dig in like nothing I have ever seen. I don't even think about slipping.

The second area where they outperformed the others is longevity. I tried the industry leading YakTrax, but they wore out after about 10 outings. They have a nice concept but they are poorly engineered. Hit a stretch of dry asphalt and the YakTrax are ruined.

Kahtoola MICROspikes retail for $59.95 and are worth every single penny. I put them on an old pair of Nike trail shoes that I had laying around. I throw those in the back of my car, that way they are always ready should conditions require their appearance. And Zorro was very grateful for their appearance this morning at Lake Normandale. As was I.

 This is a great product and you can check it out here: http://www.kahtoola.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment